How to Succeed As a Writer
As a professional copywriter, I'm often asked by aspiring copywriters what they need to do to succeed. Most of their questions center around writing ability. They want to know how to find out if they have the talent to succeed or if there's a "test" they can take that will tell them if they're a good enough writer to actually get paid to write.
Well, for better or for worse, writing ability has very little to do with a writer's ultimate success. (Business owners who want to write to promote their business, take note -- I'm talking to you as well.)
If there was a test out there (and there isn't by the way) but if there was, I would say the test would deal only with your attitude about writing and leave ability flat out of it.
Yes, you heard me right. Attitude over ability. That's the key to success.
I know. It's hard to hear. As writers, we want so badly to be told our work is good, that it has merit, that we truly are talented. I'm not sure why so many of us need that exterior validation -- perhaps because writing is such a solitary, inner activity that when we do finally come up for air, we want to make sure we haven't been wasting our time.
But to be honest, it IS possible to become a professional writer, to be paid for your work, and not be terribly talented. (In fact, I'll do you one better. It's even possible to force overworked, exhausted college students in English Lit classes to read your books and not be all that talented. Case in point: Thomas Hardy.)
When I look at professional writers (and I include authors in this category) the common denominator I see isn't writing talent. It isn't even a desire to write -- I know, it's kind of strange, but there's more than a few of those folks out there.
It's a desire to succeed as a writer.
If you're determined to succeed as a writer and have the will and the mindset to do it, then you'll succeed at it. Period.
Now, that doesn't mean you can skip working hard, honing your craft or, yes, actually putting pen to paper or hands to keyboard and churning out words. You have to be determined enough to do what it takes, to make the necessary sacrifices, to actually do the work, and to know setbacks will happen and obstacles will appear and learn to take them in stride.
Not everyone is going to like what you've written. I don't care how good you are. You're going to get some, if not a truckload of, criticism along the way. But again, that's part of your attitude. You have to be able to take the rejection, the criticism, or the just plain mean comments in stride. You have to pick yourself up and keep going. Because you know in your heart you're on the right path and you won't allow those nasty people to derail you.
And that, my friends, is what it takes to be a writer.
Creativity Exercise -- Get the right attitude.
People have written books about changing your attitude, so I'm not going to pretend this exercise is the end-all, be-all. But it's a start.
Twice a day, place your hand on your chest and say out loud, "I choose to become a successful writer. I have the attitude of a successful writer." This is a declaration, not an affirmation. According to T. Harv Eker, author of "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind," declarations are more powerful than affirmations. Declarations simply declare your intent rather than state your goal is already happening (which is an affirmation.) When you state your goal as if it's already happening, a little voice inside you usually pipes up and says, "That's a load of crap" thus making it harder to change your attitude. But if you simply state the intention, then no little voice chimes in to tell you otherwise.
And when you say it out loud, you're letting your subconscious know, the universe know, and the cells in your body know (because they can feel the energy) what you're intending to do. Placing a hand on your chest allows you to feel that energy. So change happens faster. If you also look in the mirror, you'll accelerate that change even more.
Above all, remember this: Believe and it WILL happen.
Please scroll down to leave a comment below...
Contact the AuthorMichele PW
Michele PW's web site
Audios & Videos You Might Enjoy on This Subject
Creative Planning for Your Business
These are my favorite creative planning tools for those of who love sticky notes, paper and pens. It's for those with lots of ideas who want to know how to capture and organize them. If you have ideas ...
- 7 Ways to Create a World-Changing Movement
- How to Make Money Licensing Your Invention Idea
- Bringing Your Product Idea to Market
- Innovative Ideas May Be All 'In Your Mind'
- Those 'Crazy' Business Ideas Often Turn Out to Be the Best
- Are You Creative?
- Need a New Idea? Try Changing Your Perspective
- Are Creative Stereotypes Holding You Back?
- How Writing Radio Can Help You Become a Better Writer
- How to Succeed As a Writer
- Need a Great Idea? Feed Your Brain
- Writer's Block Begone
- Three Ways Journaling Can Boost Your Creativity and Your Business
- Three Tips to Improve Your Writing Rhythm
- Gratitude: The Secret Behind Creativity
- Have You Infused Your Year to Create What You Really Want?
- Creative Bagel Time Gets Your Day Off To a Productive Start
- No Fax/No Fun! Perspectives on Fun
- Journaling Ideas
- Honor Your Ebb and Flow
- Advantages Of Gas Over Electric For Heating
- Time with Your Tank
- Three of the Easiest Ways To Prevent Pipe Freezing
- Best Flooring Options for Modern House
- Why Chose This New Hot Water Recirculation Valve?
- Prepare Your Plumbing Now Before Freezing Weather Hits Again
- Modern Ways To Prevent Pipe Freeze
- Saving Yourself From Frozen Pipes This Winter
- Best Ways to Prevent Pipe Freezing Next Winter
- Smart Meter Protection From Radiation
- The Hottest News On Instant Hot Water
- New Patented Hot Water Recirculation System Reduces Utility Bills
- American Company Introduces New Device to Protect Consumers From Smart Meter Radiation
- Domestic Water Conservation Review
- Analyzing Hot Water Recirculation Systems
- How Can You Speed Up Your Hot Water?
- Heat Up Your Showers With Hot Water Recirculation!
- New Breakthrough In Instant Hot Water Is Now Available
- New Patented Hot Water Recirculation System Now Available
- No Need For Your Customers To Wait For Hot Water!
This article has been viewed 3281 time(s).
Be featured on our site and connect with other Christ-centered entrepreneurs.
Click here for details.