Co-Creating with God

Ignite Your Light & Business with the Power of Connection

USDOT Number Requirements and General Information

USDOT Vinyl Truck Numbers by
web site

Send Feedback to Tom McGann
About Author
Report Problem
Tweet This

Share on Facebook Pin it

According to the FMCSA website, A USDOT Number is required if you have: A vehicle or vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs,if you transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation,if you transport 16 or more passengers,or haul hazardous materials in interstate commerce.

For intrastate carriers, USDOT number requirements vary from state to state. If you do not know if your state requires intrastate motor carriers to have a USDOT Number, contact the Office of Motor Carrier Safety field office in your state. For a listing of State offices, go to the FMCSA website and click on Field Offices. These offices are listed by region with telephone numbers to answer your questions and to provide you with guidance concerning the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.

There is no application fee to apply for a U.S. DOT Number. You must complete the MCS-150 (Motor Carrier Identification Report) to obtain a USDOT Number. The form can be found at the FMCSA website. Click on online registration. There is a step by step registration guide to assist you with the entire process.

If you request a USDOT Number on the website you will receive your USDOT Number immediately. A confirmation letter will be mailed to you by the FMCSA.

Generally, if you are operating as a "for-hire" motor carrier of regulated commodities or passengers in interstate commerce, you must also obtain interstate Operating Authority (MC Number) There are some exemptions to this requirement, which is explained in detail on the FMCSA website.

Physical requirements for USDOT numbers include, size, (minimum of 2" for visibility of at least 50 ft.) contrast with vehicle color for visibility, and company or owner name.

For detailed information, guidance through the registration process, and to obtain a USDOT or Operating Authority (MC) number, visit the FMCSA website.

You can obtain USDOT vinyl numbers, MC vinyl numbers, and truck lettering at our website.


Tom McGann is the owner of The Sign Guys, a sign, vehicle graphics, and printing company, working to provide high impact, low cost signage and vehicle graphics solutions for small businesses. Visit our website at

Please scroll down to leave a comment below...

Contact the Author

Tom McGann
Tom McGann's web site

awesome comments

This article has been viewed 7078 time(s).



Be featured on our site and connect with other Christ-centered entrepreneurs.
Click here for details.