Here is a food for thought question when it comes to business etiquette: All ego aside, can you claim you are the best in the world at what you do? Do you really know your competition and their level of expertise so well that you can judge your superiority over theirs?
Sometimes the claim comes in the words, preeminent, finest, best, leading expert, or foremost. Recently I received a question through the column I write about the proper business etiquette of claiming you are the best at what you do. My opinion is that no one can claim they are the best at what they do unless they have been judged by the world as such.
Even in our business, the business of teaching etiquette and protocol, there are practitioners who claim that their company is the best -- better than all the others who do the same work. They claim that their company and their expertise is better than mine and others who have more experience, clients and press recognition.
Does that claim advance their reputation? Can't everybody see through it and judge them less kindly as egotistical, boastful and false? I believe they do and what is that judgment to the brand the person or company is seeking to establish? How have they proven they are the best? As my father used to say, "When you think you are the ripest fruit on the tree that is when you begin to rot."
Please scroll down to leave a comment below...
Contact the AuthorCynthia Lett
Cynthia Lett's web site
- Advertising Your Home Business On A Budget
- Understanding The Difference Between Network Marketing and Pyramid Schemes
- Are You Ready for a Brand Name Blowout?
- What Does Gratitude Have to Do With Career Change?
- How Do You Become The Divine Feminine Leader Of Your Business?
- Business Etiquette: Claiming You Are the Best
- Etiquette for International Business Success
- International Protocol: Cultural Differences in Business
- Is Your Niche Hot...Or Not?
- The Magic of Niche: It's Not What You May Think
- Do You Have The 'Emotional Mindset' To Sell Big Ticket Programs?
- What's in a Brand? Only Your Small Business Success!
- How Good Is Your Small Business Brand?
- Branding Strategy - Live Your Brand
- Any woman small business owner can create celebrity status in her industry
- Niche Marketing: Are You Specialized Enough?
- Business Coach’s Tips on How to Handle Sticky Money Situations in Business
- Finding Your Brand – Three Key Brand Marketing Strategies
- Branding Strategy: Creating a Powerful Brand Using Archetypes
- How Much Do You Need to Know Before You're an Expert? Part 1 in a 2 Part Series
- How Much Do You Need to Know Before You're an Expert? Part 2 in a 2 Part Series
- Line Up Your Services For Branding Power
- What Ducks Can Teach You About Branding and Business Success
- 3 Reasons Why You Better Know Your Customers...or Else
- How Branding Can Lead to a Business's Success...or Failure
- The Secret Behind Successful Branding (and No, It's Not About a Logo)
- How Your Personality Can Grow Your Business
- Why are you in the business you are in?
- It's Not Business, It's Personal
- People Collector
- Are You Aching to Claim Your Business Goddess Bigger Game?
- 5 Essentials You Need to Know to be a Go-To-Goddess
- Does Your Brand Have a Voice in Social Media? 5 Ways to Online Success
- Company Naming vs. Company Branding
- Naming Strategies for Consulting Companies
- The Three Keys to a Successful Brand Strategy
- Does Your Brand Have a Voice? With the Advent of Social Media Now is the Time to Speak Up!
- Branding and the Coming Mobile Market Revolution
- How Much Does It Cost to Name a Company?
- Seven Signs It's Time to Rebrand Your Company
This article has been viewed 6235 time(s).
Upcoming IgnitePoint EventsIgnite your light, life and faith at an upcoming live IgnitePoint city event. Also find out how you can become a speaker at one of these events!
IgnitePoint - Atlanta
IgnitePoint - Salt Lake City
Imagine a TEDxR-style event where you can mention God, Jesus Christ and tell your faith-promoting stories! Learn more here.
You can be featured on our site! Ask How!
Books by this Author
That's So Annoying - An Etiquette Expert's Take On The World's Most Irritating Habits And What To ,,
The first etiquette book ever to look at what really annoys us and why, and what to do about it! Here are hundreds and hundreds of real people’s most common complaints and the proper responses to them. Written by an eminent etiquette expert, it is a guide to how to behave well and, more importantly, how to respond to bad behavior.